Posts in "Cooking 101"
Editor’s Note: Every Friday, we send out an email newsletter to our fans (sign-up for mor.sl to be added to our email list!). In them, we offer nerdy debates around the week’s events/news/scandals — of course, we always tie them back to food.
- Cooking 101, Change Happens One Day At A Time, Health is Wealth, mor.sl Newsletter
Most of the bloggers that I've come to adore make everything from scratch. While I'd love to follow in their footsteps, I'm just not there yet. I still use canned beans instead of cooking my own (in case you're wondering why that matters, it's because the canned ones have salt, preservatives and BPAs.
- Tip of the Week, Kitchen Hacks, Cooking 101, Change Happens One Day At A Time, Health is Wealth
Over the summer I was not keen to spend Sundays in my kitchen, what with the beach beckoning and the temperatures sweltering. Finally this weekend we had some autumnal 70s weather with dramatic clouds on the horizon and I was inspired to make my grand reentrance to kitchen stadium.
- Cooking 101, Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, white bean soup; soup; curry
If you were not unplugged on a summer getaway, it was hard to miss the news a few weeks back that Nora Ephron had passed away. I, sheepishly, was not all that familiar with Nora and her work, but as I read her list of things she wouldn't miss (dry skin, email) and what she would (waffles, the concept of waffles), I decided to top off my summer reading list with her books.
- Spotlight On, Cooking 101, Recipes, salad; vinaigrette
There are different kinds of people in the world when it comes to cooking: the plan aheaders, the last minute frenzy cook, the i-don't-cook cook. I fall somewhere in between the first two.
- Product Reviews, Tip of the Week, Cooking 101, Recipes, Meatless Monday, Health is Wealth, When Life Hands You...
So, remember when I said I was trying to shift towards the Hunter, Gatherer's way of eating? I really meant it. It's a slow transition and it's very imperfect, but at the very least I'm consciously buying leafy greens, sulfur-rich veggies, and bright colored produce when I'm at the supermarket.
- Spotlight On, Cooking 101, Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, Health is Wealth, When Life Hands You...
Lizzy, my grill and pizza guru, taught me my latest and greatest trick: grilled middle eastern flat bread. I never thought to try grilling dough, but oddly, it works. If you have a gas grill, I cannot recommend this kitchen hack highly enough.
- Spotlight On, Tip of the Week, Kitchen Hacks, Cooking 101, Ethnic Cuisine
New Year's day is good for a few things: hang overs, good luck beans and resolutions. So as I sat at a sunny brunch at the Ferry Building in San Francisco, haunting menus for beans, when asked what my resolution was, I made a snap decision.
- Tip of the Week, Cooking 101, Recipes, When Life Hands You...
Ever since the re-entrance of popovers into my life as well as a Christmas gifting of a cast iron pan, my pan favoritism has been turned upside down. I have started to select what to cook based on whether I can justify using my cast iron pan or not.
- Product Reviews, Spotlight On, Cooking 101, Holiday Entertaining
I love cooking and dinner is sacred in our house - candles, no tv, music, real conversation - but it wears me out. So this year I've resolved to spend less time on dinner. That means the following: Being more decisive when selecting what to cook (making and maintaining a want-to-cook list and selecting something when needed;
- Tip of the Week, Cooking 101, Change Happens One Day At A Time
Happy cyber Monday! While we don't have any deals to share, we are hard at work processing photos from the Thanksgiving smorgasbord to share with cyber space. In the mean time, I thought I'd share a quick tip that was really driven home for me at this year's feast: wash as you go.
- Tip of the Week, Cooking 101