Posts in "Holiday Entertaining"
Editor's Note: Every Friday, we send out an email newsletter to our fans (sign-up for mor.sl to be added to our email list!). In them, we offer nerdy debates around the week's events/news/scandals -- of course, we always tie them back to food.
- Tip of the Week, Change Happens One Day At A Time, The Wisdom of Mom, Holiday Entertaining, mor.sl Newsletter
Does anyone still make turkey at Thanksgiving? More and more I am hearing of foodies throwing down with decadent but non-traditional T-day feasts. We were no exception to the new normal, focusing our meal around fresh Californian Dungeness crab.
- Holiday Entertaining, Ethnic Cuisine, crab, thanksgiving
There is something very magical about family. I come from a big one, and when we all get together, there are people in every corner of the house, there's always something simmering on the stove, and there's a whole lot more laughing than usual.
- Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, Meatless Monday, Holiday Entertaining
Thanks, Frankenstorm, for canceling my plans to bus back up to Philly on Sunday night. Thanks, Frankenstorm, for shutting down the government,closing the Metro and Septa lines, and for creating a State of Emergency in the two states in which I reside.
- Recipes, When Life Hands You..., Holiday Entertaining, Seasonal, Dessert
Marooned on a desert island, I had a very interesting week of cooking last week. Lucky duck that I am, I spent the past little while in Moorea in a beach shack. Between our rented house, time on our hands and exorbitant restaurant prices, we ended up cooking almost every meal with this view from the kitchen: If you find yourselves in such a situation, may I recommend the following tips.
- Tip of the Week, Holiday Entertaining, vacation cooking, island style
Happy 4th of July! Summer time for me is a great excuse to turn back to American classics. Most feasts today will involve smokey meats, corn on the cob and watermelon, but I don't think this Americana worship needs to be a one day affair.
- Recipes, Holiday Entertaining, Seasonal, barbecue, bbq, fourth of july, ribs, peaches
I had far too much fun on Cinco de Mayo. In fact, I am still suffering the consequences of the many margaritas and beers consumed on Saturday. See, we were fortunate enough to be invited to a "Guac-Off" by one of our fave couple friends.
- Recipes, When Life Hands You..., Holiday Entertaining, Ethnic Cuisine
I'm not Christian, so Easter to me has traditionally meant a few things: pastel colors, flowers, brunch, egg hunts and, of course, Peeps. This Easter Sunday, thanks to my promise to bring you recipes that feature this season's finest produce, I stumbled upon a new Easter tradition: strawberry rhubarb pie crumble.
- Kitchen Hacks, Recipes, Holiday Entertaining, Seasonal, Dessert
I'm poorer than I've ever been in my life. Think, starving entrepreneur poor. This week I had to turn down a dinner invitation with friends solely due to budget constraints, and tomorrow I'm turning a lunch date into a coffee date for the same reason.
- Tip of the Week, Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, This Week's Challenge, Holiday Entertaining
Raise a glass with me! Why, you ask? Because...well, I'm engaged!! The beau, Blake, got down on one knee on Friday night on the very rooftop we met on four years ago. Swoon. Not only that, but he then proceeded to surprise me with a gathering of all my local friends/family at his brother's house! I wasn't the only one surprised.
- Recipes, Meatless Monday, Holiday Entertaining
Ever since the re-entrance of popovers into my life as well as a Christmas gifting of a cast iron pan, my pan favoritism has been turned upside down. I have started to select what to cook based on whether I can justify using my cast iron pan or not.
- Product Reviews, Spotlight On, Cooking 101, Holiday Entertaining