Posts in "When Life Hands You..."
Editor’s Note: Every Friday, we send out an email newsletter to our fans (sign-up for mor.sl to be added to our email list!). In them, we offer nerdy debates around the week’s events/news/scandals — of course, we always tie them back to food.
- Tip of the Week, When Life Hands You..., Seasonal, mor.sl Newsletter
Thanks, Frankenstorm, for canceling my plans to bus back up to Philly on Sunday night. Thanks, Frankenstorm, for shutting down the government,closing the Metro and Septa lines, and for creating a State of Emergency in the two states in which I reside.
- Recipes, When Life Hands You..., Holiday Entertaining, Seasonal, Dessert
Hypnotized by the giant tub of watermelons at TJ's doorstep, I lugged home my first melon of the summer on a recent particularly hot eve. I have a long standing love of various types of Mexican agua fresca (basically diluted fresh fruit juices), and I felt like I was up to the challenge of making my own.
- Tip of the Week, When Life Hands You..., Beverages, Seasonal
There are different kinds of people in the world when it comes to cooking: the plan aheaders, the last minute frenzy cook, the i-don't-cook cook. I fall somewhere in between the first two.
- Product Reviews, Tip of the Week, Cooking 101, Recipes, Meatless Monday, Health is Wealth, When Life Hands You...
I had far too much fun on Cinco de Mayo. In fact, I am still suffering the consequences of the many margaritas and beers consumed on Saturday. See, we were fortunate enough to be invited to a "Guac-Off" by one of our fave couple friends.
- Recipes, When Life Hands You..., Holiday Entertaining, Ethnic Cuisine
So, remember when I said I was trying to shift towards the Hunter, Gatherer's way of eating? I really meant it. It's a slow transition and it's very imperfect, but at the very least I'm consciously buying leafy greens, sulfur-rich veggies, and bright colored produce when I'm at the supermarket.
- Spotlight On, Cooking 101, Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, Health is Wealth, When Life Hands You...
In an ongoing quest for the perfect lunch, my recent explorations have centered on introducing more protein into my working girl lunches. Baked tofu bits mixed into a salad and quinoa are legit options, but there is only so much super health food I can handle.
- Kitchen Hacks, When Life Hands You..., Ethnic Cuisine
New Year's day is good for a few things: hang overs, good luck beans and resolutions. So as I sat at a sunny brunch at the Ferry Building in San Francisco, haunting menus for beans, when asked what my resolution was, I made a snap decision.
- Tip of the Week, Cooking 101, Recipes, When Life Hands You...
The day the beau and I went to Stribling Orchards, we didn't just bring home 50 apples, we brought home a giant butternut squash. For days I fretted about how I would use the thing (actually, I was more worried about how I would cut it open), and then it dawned on me to make butternut squash soup (and that I had a manly man around to do such things for me!) I also thought apple would add a nice tartness to the sweet squash, so I sought out a recipe for butternut squash soup with apples.
- Recipes, Meatless Monday, When Life Hands You...
Fall was a tease. It's still warm in D.C. The lovely kind of warm that you want to savor and not let go of (versus the hot humidness of the rest of the summer). Feeling this warmth, Blake decided he was in the mood for a salad for dinner (very rare for us).
- Tip of the Week, Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, Health is Wealth, When Life Hands You...
Fall is in the air. I could smell it when I opened my window this morning, and I'm sure you early morning commuters felt it, too. Some of you, like my roommate and my dear friend from Haas, may be in denial of fall's impending approach, but I relish it.
- Spotlight On, Cooking 101, Recipes, Change Happens One Day At A Time, When Life Hands You...