A summery salad of citrus and avocado over a bed of lettuce. Simple, fresh - very California.
|Contributor||Alice Waters Gallery|
|Prep Time||15 min|
This salad, courtesy of Alice Waters, is also delicious served over greens such as baby arugula or butter lettuce leaves. If you are adding greens, you may want to increase the white wine vinegar to 1 teaspoon and the olive oil to 2 tablespoons so that you’ll have enough dressing to coat the greens.
- 1 mediumHass avocado
- 1 tbspextra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch(es)fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tspwhite wine vinegar
- 1 mediumruby grapefruit
- 4 handful(s)baby arugula,
- Peel the grapefruits with a sharp knife down to the flesh, removing all the rind and membrane.
- Cut the sections free, slicing carefully along the partitioning membranes.
- Squeeze the juice from the membranes.
- Measure 2 tablespoons of the juice into a small bowl and stir in the salt and vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt or citrus if necessary.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Peel the halves and cut into ¼-inch slices. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Arrange the grapefruit sections and avocado slices alternately on a plate or and spoon the vinaigrette over, or, if serving over greens, dress the greens with half of the vinaigrette, arrange avocado and grapefruit slices on top, and spoon more vinaigrette over the top.